Wednesday 10 May 2017

Fudgey's 17 for 17

Hello everyone

As promised a post about this year's challenge, I'm sure most of you know what it is....the title kind if gives it away, but I'll fill you in on the details & background so far.

After a tough year last year, I was determined to do something a little special, especially in memory of my mum. I've found it hard to grieve & for me the way to cope is to do something positive & continue to make my Mum proud of the girl she made.

After my 7th London Marathon rejection in October 2016, I had already signed up for the Loch Ness Marathon - Thanks Rachael Welby. This will be my 4th marathon & whilst it's a huge commitment & challenge to run 26.2 miles, it didn't seem enough lol.

Inspired by Iain Opray's 16 for 16 (16 events in 2016) & Life & Lifting's 30 for 30 (30 events for her 30th birthday year), the idea of 17 for 17 started to emerge.
I think the first person I mentioned this to was my lovely friend Lyndsey Esland who then told her husband James who apparently thinks I'm a badass! Thanks James.


And so the idea of 17 for 17 began. But how to fit in 17 events logistically whilst being a full time working mummy & wife?

There is now a whole new world of Virtual events, offering all kinds of 'races' with amazing medals & you can usually complete these at a time, place & pace that suits you. So far most of my virtual events have been with Virtual Runner UK, & I have done one with Virtual Pace Series & signed up for one each with Full Medal Runs & Awesome Virtual Running Events. 
I also have a number of traditional organised events. Check out my upcoming events page to see what is scheduled.

So here we are at March 9th & I 've collected a bit of a bling collection so far.

#1 The Great Winter Run 5k 7th January 
35 minutes 13 seconds

#2Virtual Runner Resolution Run 1st - 8th January
Distance challenge over those dates 25.75km (16 miles)
20% of entry fee to The Cure Parkinson's Trust
 
Girls Run the world Runuary
Run everyday in January

#3 Virtual Runner Love you to the Moon & back February 
Distance challenge over month of February 164.3km (102 miles)
20% of entry fee to Count the Kicks

#4 Virtual Pace Series International Women's Day 8th March (4th - 11th March)
Either 10k or 10 miles
Unfortunately just before my chest infection but managed to get 10km done

Virtual Event Conqueror events Route 66 - Team Unicorn 
A team challenge to cover the 2,280 miles of Route 66
We smashed it, finishing as first team on 22nd March having started January 1st
Thank you Jo Gennari for asking me to be part of this.

#5 Kilomathon (13.1km) 9th April
1 hour 28 minutes 51 seconds

#6 Great Edinburgh Run (10 miles) 23rd April
New PB! by 3 minutes 41 seconds!
1 hour 52 minutes 7 seconds
 
Lands End to John O'Groats Virtual Race (605 miles)
I'm not including this in my 2017 challenge, though most of the miles have come this year.
Started 10th January 2016 & finally finished it 23rd April 2017
For a number of reasons my running fell apart a bit in the first part of 2016 but you can see I've totally turned it around....
Totally geeky  stats
Jan to Sept 2016: 109.7 miles
Oct to Dec 2016: 178.8 miles
Jan to 23 April 2017: 316.5 miles
 

#7 Virtual Runner Give a girl the right shoes challenge April 
Complete a marathon (26.2 miles) during month of April 125.4km (78 miles)
20% of entry fee to Wish upon a Star

#8 Virtual Runner May the fourth be with you Falcon 5k
A slow plod pre PT session & work on 4th May 36 minutes 33 seconds 
20% of entry fee to Clic Sargent
 
And I'm still somehow running everyday...Day 221 today
 
I'll try not to leave to too long till my next post, I'm hoping the rest of May will deliver another 4 medals so watch this space
 
Take Care Everyone
Lots of Love
Fudgey xxx
 
PS: Photos of my medal collection are on my facebook page



No comments:

Post a Comment