Tuesday 24 September 2013

Scottish Gas 10k Race Report

Hello Fudgey Friends,

As promised race report from Sunday's 10k

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED EVENT

Pre Race Preparation

This event was very different to quite a lot I have entered, it wasn't organised by a big money grabbing organisation (sorry Bupa runs / Nova International) It was organised by Edinburgh Athletics Club. There were 5k & 10k options available & entry was only £16. Unlike other events there weren't loads of pre race emails & no postage of race number & chip - this was collected on the day.

I got myself organised on Saturday night, laid out running kit, belt pouch, safety pins, gloves & cap. I also laid out little Miss Bug's clothes.

On Sunday morning I was actually up before Miss Bug & had her milk & breakfast made, my breakfast smoothie of almond milk & banana made & myself dressed & 95% ready to go.

Miss Bug woke & had her breakfast & then family Fudgey headed to Granny & Grandpa's house. Granny looked after our little princess while Grandpa took Mr Fudgey & I to the race.

Pick up for race numbers & the start of the race were at the Scottish Gas building at Granton, there was plenty parking provided at Telford college & was well sign posted as well as parking in the Morrisons right beside Scottish Gas.

I was dropped off & collected my number, it was really bright & sunny but very very windy, too windy to hang around for 40 minutes so we had a wee look around Morrisons, heading back over to the start about 9.45am for a 10am start.

The collection of numbers & chips was really well organised & moved really quickly & all the volunteers were friendly.

The Race

One of my first observations of the field was that there were no obvious fun runners & the general age of the field seemed to be young, though there were plenty of seniors too but everyone looked like a 'serious' runner. I therefore started right at the very back of the field.

10am sharp we were off, I knew I was running faster than I had in training but was conscious to hold back a bit, as it was quite a small event - about 500 runners, there was no congestion at all & the field spread out quite quickly.

The course was mostly flat & fast....apart from a wee incline at the last km.

It was pretty much a race of 2 halves. The first 5k was head on into the wind towards Cramond along the promenade & was tough going & I was glad I had chosen not to wear my cap it would be in the water if I had, a few times I wanted to stop & walk, more because of the wind than running ability but I pushed on. Through 5k in 33 minutes 44 seconds. (Edinburgh 5k in July was 34 minutes 56 seconds)

At 5.5k there was a water station, I had a 500ml bottle of water that I had from the start so declined the water.....also as it was in cups & I have still not mastered the art of drinking from a cup while running other than chucking it over myself!

At the turn back I expected the wind to be behind me..... NO the second half of the run was blazing sunshine & now I was wanting my cap. I ran really well & consistently till 7k & that was where I had to start digging deep, however I did realise that I was more than likely to be sub 70 minutes & my expectation had been nearer 75 minutes so that was a big motivator, my training & determination are paying off.

It was fantastic to see the finish line & see the Fudgey support team cheering.

Again the bonus of a small event you pretty much get your own glory finish without too many other runners around you & in my case on my own.

Official time 1 hour 9 minutes 25 seconds.

 
 
 
Post Race
 
At the finish area, there were volunteers taking chips & then I received a Scottish Gas bag which contained a sweatband purse, I also got a cereal bar & a banana, a t shirt & had 2 cups of juice. No banana in the photo I ate it immediately,  I'm quite easy to please give me a banana post race & I'm a happy girl.....though wee request to any race organisers , sponsors, donors.... some coconut water too & I would be in heaven :-)
Some people will look at that & think it's a poor goody bag, but it is probably actually one of my favourites. No leaflets promoting races, sponsors etc. No crap you don't want or need. The t shirt is a really good quality technical t shirt. Only criticism no small sizes by the time I finished.....but guess that just means I need to run faster next time.
 
Overall opinion & feedback to EAC
 
Brilliantly organised event, great start & finish venue, great parking facilities, km markers in the correct places, great marshalls out of course & volunteers making it all possible, great goody bag - all for £16 - absolutely amazing. I would highly recommend this event to any of my running friends.
 
If I was pushed really hard to give a negative on this I'd really struggle, the only thing I can think of is that it maybe isn't the 'friendliest' event but equally it isn't 'unfriendly' I think it is just that the vst majority of participants were serious runners & club runners .....however this shouldn't put anyone off, I am just trying to give a balanced opinion & my personal views.
 
I would certainly come back & take part in this again next year.
 
 
Again Thank you to my hubby and to Mum & Dad Smith - I couldn't do this without all your help & continued support.
 
 
lots of love
Fudgey xxxx
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment